How to apply paraphrasing wisely?
When using written English in the work or educational purposes, sometimes you have to use the original materials from other authors and remake them in your own order.
Here you will be informed about paraphrasing (rewrite the text in other words) and summarizing (emphasis on the most important points and getting rid of minor details).
These aspects of the text are important for the following reasons:
- First, if you use the original language of another author without no change, you are limiting yourself in knowledge. Using paraphrasing and summarizing skills, you are generating the material by your own; that’s why the data will better be assimilated.
- Second, the authors of the various materials and books have their specific target audience and a preferred In those materials, you just have to revise everything and alter or drop some points that are not suitable for your readers.
- Third, the material written by other authors, are protected by the confidentiality law and considered their property. If you only copy other people’s texts, you may be accused of plagiarism.
- Paraphrasing and summarizing are often used together, but not always. Let’s consider in closer detail these useful ways of working with text.
As was mentioned above, paraphrasing involves the use of synonyms and word’s permutation. It is vital to retain the meaning of the text but to change it so that the reader does not recognize in it the original text.
Consider some examples of correct and inadequate paraphrasing:
- Source code: The political and economic crisis in the country was overcome after the president took some resolute steps.
- Incorrect paraphrasing: The crisis in political and economic fields that swallowed the whole country was overpassed due to the president’s decisive
- The correct paraphrasing: The president managed a set of successful and crucial moves that mostly improved critical political and economic affairs.
As can be seen from the second sentence, the permutation of words and the use of synonyms is not always enough to quality paraphrasing. In the last sentence of the same text has been changed the sentence structure, which significantly transforms the original text.
What are the ways of paraphrasing?
- The process of paraphrasing is creative, but keep in mind the following critical points that will help you to achieve a high-quality paraphrase:
- The main idea of the text, as well as personal statements and affirmations, are best left in their original form.
- By changing the structure of the sentence and the order of ideas contained in it, keep the logical connections between them. For example, if the author of the text starts with a generalized and reinforces it with an example, make this example the entry to the generalization.
- In order to paraphrase a sentence, you can move the line from its beginning near the end, and vice versa.
- You may actively use synonyms to replace words in the original text, not forgetting to adapt them to your specific theme and writing style.
- In the case of necessity the proposals can be combined and separated.
- Use direct quotes only in individual cases. Try to select the most interesting and significant statements.
- Always try to compare your rehashed version with the source text. It is vital to do not lose the meaning and did not miss the important details and elements of the original text.
- Accompany your text with links, paying homage to the author of the original text.
Now, when knowing these rules of paraphrasing, you will be able to write your thesis or term paper,or a little essay successfully. Paraphrasing skills will also help you in the entrance exams.
to writing a brilliant essay from our
expert academic writers.