How to Write a Successful Book Review: “The Taming of the Shrew” Essay
Are you questioning yourself about how to write a review of a book without wasting time? Maybe at the very beginning creating this paper may seem like a simple task, but it’s a kind of hard job that requires great personal skills and abilities to write down your thoughts logically. Remember, you shouldn’t only summarize facts but introduce a well-structured critical discussion of a certain book.
Table of Contents
5 Effective Steps to Writing a Book Review
Before you start making your original review of “The Taming of the Shrew”, you should understand how to review a book properly. We’ve gathered some effective hints to guide you in creating an interesting paper easily.
Step 1 – Define Your Audience
First of all, you need to understand the approximate age of future readers because you need to understand how to write a book review for kids if you’re analyzing a book for children and adults if you’re writing about some book for adults.
Step 2 – Formulate a Thesis
When you’re thinking about how to do a book review, start by creating a strong thesis statement. It will inform the readers about what they should expect from the whole paper.
Step 3 – Create a Bright Beginning
Remember that the first impression is the most important, that’s why you should put a lot of attention to this part. You can start with a quote, interesting fact, irony, or even an anecdote – anything that will attract people. Follow our next how to write a book recommendation.
Step 4 – Write the Body Part
Usually, this section contains three paragraphs, though some long works can have more paragraphs inside. Here you have to analyze a book and support your arguments with evidence.
Step 5 – End Up with a Good Conclusion
Here you have to summarize the results of your analysis and provide readers with recommendations and impressions after reading.
If you need more tips to answer the question “How do you write a book review?’, please follow useful hints in the next paragraph.
11 Tips on How to Create a Professional Book Review
So, do you need more tips on how to write a good book review? If you’re planning to make a critical review of “The Taming of the Shrew”, then you should follow our 11 useful hints on how to make a book review:
- Carefully read the book and try to take notes – just write down all your thoughts and impressions while reading. If there is enough time, it’s better to read the piece of literature twice or more times.
- Define the book’s genre.
- Define the main problem highlighted in the piece of literature.
- Define the writing style of the author.
- Analyze how well the writer achieves the main goal.
- Find which kind of metaphors the author uses.
- Mark citations from the piece of literature that characterize its main idea.
- Think what’s the reason to recommend this piece of literature to people.
- Develop a detailed outline for a future document.
- Write a book review considering all the tips above.
- When the work is finished, revise it to find and correct spell and grammar errors. Also, check out you didn’t make logical mistakes in the paper.
How to Start a Book Review Successfully
We suggest starting writing by creating an outline for the document and defining its future structure. Here is how to write a book review structure:
- Introduction – write a bright beginning to involve readers to read the whole review. You shouldn’t write a lot here, but something to grab people’s attention. If you are not sure what to write in this part, you can write the introduction after you have already finished the main part and conclusion. In this case, it would be easier for you to understand what you should put at the very beginning of your review.
- Main part – it’s a part where you put the most important moments about the book:
– book summary – tell readers what this book is about, what the author wanted to tell people.
– critical analysis – analyze if the author achieved goals, compare this book with others if possible. During this part, you have to use quotes from the book, this will help to support your discussion a lot. Don’t forget to cite your sources.
- Conclusion – sum up your analysis, discuss why you would recommend others to read this book.
“The Taming of the Shrew” Books Review Example
“The Taming of the Shrew” is a comedy written by the talented writer William Shakespeare. The story describes two daughters of Baptista Minola: beautiful Bianca and older Katerina. Lucentio, a young son of Vincentio of Pisa, arrives to study and falls in love with Bianca. He wants to marry her, but suddenly, the father of the pretty girl said Bianca could not get married until her older sister Katerina will find her future husband first.
This is a problem because Katerina seems a shrewd woman to marry a sane man, but fortunately, a hunter Petruchio who arrived in town recently, is no sane man who not just married Katerina but also wanted to tame her shrewish character and bitter tongue.
Katerina harasses and blames her younger sister, and she always criticizes candidates in her future husbands. But at the same time, she feels unhappy about being alone and blames her unmarried fate. Petruchio seems like the total opposite of the Katerina, and he wants only his business and money. The man isn’t interested in relationships, but he is getting involved in all this due to money.
At the сeremony of the wedding, Petruchio embarrasses Kate: a man is keeping her from drinking and eating, criticizes her beautiful clothes, and uses ridiculous reverse psychology things to keep her silent. Of course, he makes it look as he cares about a wife, but in fact, this is a tyrannical person that abuses his wife. Using various literary tricks, Shakespeare has introduced this abuse in a humorous tone.
When you just start to read, you may hate Kate for her awful character – she acts like a bitch. But then Petruchio appears and plays with the woman, refusing to get her “no” as an acceptable answer. This man acts creepy: he just forces Katerina to marry him, grabs the woman far away from relatives and family, and tames her. This seems very disgusting. During reading, you may even feel pity for her, especially after her monologue.
“The Taming of the Shrew” is a controversial play, and it’s also a bit odd: it presents the relationship of wife and husband that goes completely wrong to contemporary opinion. Petruchio is a tyrant who forces Katerina to do everything he says without any objections. On another side, it’s even funny to understand that from the story’s three couples, Kate and Petruchio, are the best couple.
The play ends on a note that encourages the women to submit to their husbands. Of course, it may sound ridiculous, but in fact, it’s not far from the Bible. Of course, it’s a bad example to follow if you know that Petruchio was involved in all this just for money. But the whole comedy of Shakespeare, “The Taming of the Shrew,” is a witty and boisterous story about relationships and marriage you cannot take too seriously to enjoy.
Of course, the language of Shakespeare is not easy to understand for many people at first. Being a quite talented writer, he created a lot of wonderful plays with great and interesting characters that continue to surprise people all over the world.
Need Professional Help Writing a Quality Book Review? Ask GradeMiners.com!
Many people are interested to know how to write a book review, but it is not an easy job, especially if you haven’t got brilliant writing skills. For some people, it’s quite hard to put all their thoughts and discussions on paper logically. If you need help in “The Taming of the Shrew” review writing, we are ready to do this job for you! We can create successful documents without any delays and deliver them on time just when you need them!
Our professional and talented team cooperates with hundreds of experienced writers that will provide you with qualified help. Whether you need proofreading your work or writing the whole review from beginning to end, we will fulfill it in the shortest terms. Place your order on our site just in a few minutes, and our professionals who know how to write a great book review will create a successful paper from scratch to impress your readers!