Thoughts on Writing essay on police brutality
Police were once referred to as law enforcers who would bring peace to a situation that there was chaos. Writing an essay on police brutality requires one to have good preparation and ideas that will enable you to communicate the idea on police brutality in extent and make the reader understand it fully.
Through time this has however changed, and the police are now seen to be more than the peacekeepers and law enforcers, and they have started to abuse their power. Although some of the police officers are still doing their jobs as they have been ordered to some, have forgotten their duties as peacekeepers and are now taking advantage of their power. Police brutality refers to the use of unnecessary and excessive force against the civilians
The acts include the innocent shooting of the civilians, sexual abuse, false arrest, racial profiling, and physiological intimidation. To achieve this, there are various tips that one could follow
Important outlines in the essay
- Conduct thorough research: for such an essay your aim is to inform the reader all that pertains the Therefore, you are required to make states that are facts, and that requires proper research. The information should be accurate therefore avoid many websites which are not managed by experts in the sector. It is, therefore, best if you visit a library and ask the librarian to give you relevant sources that talk about police brutality.
- Take notes: have a separate paper that you write down the points down so as to get a clear presentation of the thoughts and also the interesting points that you come across. While taking notes also make sure you write down the sources that acquire. Make sure that the page number, the author’s name and the title of the book are noted down.
- Brainstorm the ideas you have on police brutality: brainstorming ideas after collecting them from correct sources will enable you to categorize the ideas to the matching ones so as to have a flow and comprehensive
- Introduction and thesis statement: make sure that the introduction to the essay should have a hook that will be interesting. The thesis statement should be at least two sentences that are to give the rest of the essay the direction upon which it will follow.
- The body: the body is the section between the introduction paragraph and the one that consists the conclusion. Design your essay in a way that each paragraph in the body should only have one major part. The number of points that you are going to include in the essay is determined by the length of the essay. The points that you choose should all be aimed at explaining the thesis statement in details.
- Include supporting details: in each and every paragraph include details that are finer and supporting the main idea of the topic. The finer details will ensure that the user gets a better understanding of what the major point was discussing about therefore eventually having a better understanding of the thesis statement.
Final drafting of the essay
- Create an initial rough draft: the rough draft is aimed at expanding the noted points into paragraphs so as to know if they can be written in the essay. You should not be worried about the spelling mistakes and other grammatical errors since they will be corrected later on when writing a final draft.
- Topic sentences: give each and every paragraph a topic sentence that will introduce the main topic that you will discuss in the paragraph. The topic sentences make sure that the reader is not lost due to the many ideas covered in the essay.
- Essay structure: the essay should definitely have three major structures; the introduction, the body and the conclusion. For the body, it constitutes of the paragraphs which should follow the format of claim, evidence and then the explanation.
- Conclusion: this section is designated at restating the thesis statement that you had earlier stated at the beginning of the essay. It should be the same also summarize the ideas in the essay. Finally giving an overview of what the whole essay was talking about is done in this sections. The conclusion should be the best since it remains as the last thing that the reader will have to your work.