The Gist Of Animal Testing Persuasive Essays
Wondering what kind of arguments to use when writing animal testing persuasive essay? We’ve got you covered here!
The first records about conducting experiments on living creatures date back to ancient Greece and Rome. Animal testing has been used for centuries and resulted in many scientific breakthroughs, but today, people don’t need this controversial practice any longer.
There is an ongoing debate on this topic and high-school, and college students are often assigned to write a persuasive essay on animal testing.
The topic is not easy because both sides of the debate claim that they use convincing arguments.
In this article, you will find a lot of useful information that will help you write a powerful animal testing arguments essay that will impress your audience.
Table of Contents
How to write animal testing persuasive essay?
Animals have been used in medical experiments and other scientific investigations for several centuries.
Many people still think that these experiments are extremely valuable for the discovery of medications, great advances in human health, and the development of new cosmetics products.
But with the growth of the modern animal rights movement, a lot of people started to think that it’s unethical to use living creatures, kept in captivity and make them suffer from physical pain, emotional distress, and deprivation.
In 1975, an Australian philosopher Peter Singer published his piece “Animal Rights” where he argued that animals deserved to be treated with similar care like human beings because they feel pain and suffer just like we do.
In 1983, the US philosopher Tom Reagan argued that animals have intellect and emotions just like humans, so people should protect their rights.
Today, such experiments still remain commonplace and, according to PETA statistics, more than 100,000,000 animals are tested and killed in labs every year only in one country – the USA.
But the public support for such cruel practices is constantly declining. Due to ethical concerns, many countries, for example, the European Union, Norway, Israel, India, have adopted legislation that bans using animals in testing cosmetics products.
When writing animal rights persuasive essay, you should examine the opinions of both proponents and opponents of this practice, take a stand, and defend your point of view.
To help you write this type of essay as well as persuasive essay on animal testing for cosmetics, we will discuss the main arguments from both sides.
First, let’s list some major arguments used by proponents of the experimentation.
- Animal testing helped in the development of loads of life-saving drugs for many diseases, for example, diabetes, childhood leukaemia, brain injury, breast cancer, tuberculosis, malaria, and more.
- There are no adequate alternative methods for researching complex living organisms like humans and animals.
- Animals are genetically similar to humans and are susceptible to the same illnesses.
- Experiments are regulated by special, strict laws which protect animals in labs from mistreatment.
- Results of experimentation are beneficial for animals.
Now let’s speak about the key arguments of the opponents of this controversial practice.
- Experiments on animals are cruel and inhumane because they are subjected to terrible procedures like toxicity tests, water, and food deprivation, forced feeding, the infliction of wounds, and killings by different means. It’s the most obvious reasons because all living creatures deserve to live without suffering.
- It’s an old method. Due to technology advancements, researchers can use scientifically proven alternative innovative methods to replace the need for animals.
- All living species are unique. There are significant cellular, metabolic, and anatomic differences between animals and humans, so the research is far from fool-proof and often brings irrelevant results. According to statistics, about 90% of experimental drugs fail in clinical studies in humans.
- Experiments that involve animals cost millions of dollars and are more expensive than other alternative methods. And all living beings that take part in these tests die so it’s just a waste of time, money, and other resources which could have been spent on research that brings human-relevant results.
- There’s no need in tests like these. Animals suffer like human beings and die in labs with no protection from cruelty for creating new pesticides, drugs for erectile dysfunction, food ingredients, or eyeliners. No one needs these products so badly that they should come at the expense of someone’s lives.
- Social relevance, efficiency, and ethical concerns make modern scientists look for innovative alternatives, and now there are some promising options which can reduce the need for experimentation.
All these alternative high-tech methods are now a reality, and they are much cheaper, quicker, and more effective.
Here are some examples:
- Researchers are working on building computational models (algorithms) which can analyze huge amounts of research data and make predictions on how certain products can affect living organisms. No living creature is put in danger.
- There are cautious methods of human studies like microdosing when human volunteers receive new drugs in tiny quantities that allow researchers to measure their impact on individual cells. They are safe and effective. Besides, volunteers have freedom of choice and understand what is happening to them, including effects and are motivated to help scientists find cures for diseases.
- Simplified and miniature organs-on-chips that mimic the functioning of human kidneys, lungs, heart, and liver can deliver more human-relevant results in toxicology and help understand the effects of new drugs.
- In vitro testing, when researchers use human cells to see through microscopy how they react to specific chemicals.
We provided you with a brief overview of the debate and different positions on the issue. But you should do additional research to find more evidence about experimentation that will help you make an educated decision on which side of the debate you support.
Plenty of information about the issue is available online, so you should search for the internet and find more data and examples to illustrate your point of view and support the key points you will argue in your persuasive essay.
You need to find convincing facts that can prove your position is right and will help you persuade your audience to change their mind and support your ideas or take a certain action.
It’s a persuasive essay so you can use descriptive storytelling techniques or metaphors to appeal to your readers’ emotions.
You should formulate a strong and highly specific thesis statement and create a detailed outline that will help you stay focused during the writing process and will keep your essay on the track.
Follow the traditional essay structure that includes an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
If you use quotes or paraphrase someone, make sure to cite all your sources and create a list of references according to the requirements of a specific citation style assigned by your instructor.
Have no idea about what to write? We have powerful topics for your essays!
Best topics for persuasive essays on animal testing
Review these interesting animal testing persuasive essay topics and feel free to use them for writing your own papers. You may use the arguments we have discussed in this article or think about your own.
- Under what circumstances can animal testing be justified?
- Is it ethical to buy cosmetics products tested on animals?
- Animal research and medicine.
- Is it ethical to genetically engineer animals?
- Should animal testing be banned?
- Animal experimentation: pros and cons.
- Why is animal testing cruel and inhumane?
- How can technology replace animal research?
- Alternative approaches to animal experimentation used for human health risk assessment.
- Why are the results of animal experimentation not reliable?
- Why should we support cruelty-free cosmetics brands?
- Why is animal testing an out-dated practice?
- Arguments against animal testing.
- Why are animal rights important?
- Are there any benefits of using animals in research?
- The cruel history of animal experimentation.
- Animal rights vs animal welfare.
- Should animals be used in scientific research?
- Can we do science without animal experimentation?
- Why do people use animals in research?
- The truth about animals used for experimentation.
- Why is animal experimentation unethical?
Sample of persuasive essay on animal testing
Finally, here is a short sample of persuasive essay against animal testing.
Despite advances in technology, more than 100 million animals are harmed and killed in out-dated and barbaric scientific and commercial experiments conducted in labs throughout the world. Animal experimentation is cruel, unreliable, and dangerous and needs to be banned everywhere because of its damaging consequences.
Right now, millions of dogs, cats, birds, primates, rabbits, rats, mice are locked in small cages in labs like prisoners, although these innocent creatures haven’t committed any crime. They live in isolation, deprivation, and misery. All they can do is to wait in terror for painful procedures that will be performed on them without any painkiller during cruel cosmetics, drug, and chemical tests, curiosity-driven experiments at universities, and medical training sessions. They can be burned, undergo repeated surgeries, addicted to drugs, drowned, starved, brain-damaged, poisoned, force-fed with chemicals, and much more. Eventually, almost all of the poor living beings will be killed.
Often, such tests bring wrong results and are unsafe for humans. These experiments are just a waste of money and resources because there are innovative alternative methods that are faster, cheaper, and safer for humans and the environment.
You can help stop this cruelty. Take a stand by boycotting companies that torture animals in inhumane experiments.
Can’t find your inspiration to write a perfect essay on animal testing? We’ve got a bunch of motivated writers, who strive to help you out! Several clicks and the evening is yours!