Hints On Writing Persuasive Essays About Books
School years are the time when students have to read a lot of stories, novels, poems and book review are often assigned to review and evaluate the content and the ideas of various literary works.
Writing a winning essay about books can help you improve your understanding of the text and get a high grade.
Read about effective ways to create an effective persuasive essay about an exciting piece of literature you have read and convince your audience that it is worth reading.
Table of Contents
How to write an essay on a book?
Writing a persuasive essay has a purpose of encouraging readers to accept a particular point of view or to act in a certain way.
Persuasive essays about books are common assignments for high-school and college students that should be based on analyzing themes (big picture ideas from stories which can be applied to real life) and explaining author’s literary merit (specific techniques used to achieve goals).
Working on a book review essay, writers have to take a stand and build a strong argument to win over readers. The key to the success of your writing is demonstrating sound logic and having relevant factual evidence to support the argument.
Not sure how to write a paper on a book? Follow these easy 5 steps.
- Create a specific and robust thesis statement. Think about the arguments you will include for supporting your statement. Find good examples in the text of a novel or a short story that illustrate and enhance your position, choose memorable direct quotes to back up your stance.
- Organize your thoughts. Brainstorm ideas and plan your essay on a book. Think about the structure of your paper and make a practical outline – the foundation upon which you will create the content. Your project should consist of 3 main parts: an introduction, main body, and conclusion.
- Write an introduction. Start your paper with a hook to grab readers’ attention: a question, memorable quote or anecdote. Provide some background information about a book and its author and introduce a clear thesis statement that reveals your position and outlines your argument.
- Write body paragraphs. Present all arguments to support the thesis. Each paragraph should present a specific point. Start each paragraph with a topic sentence, stating the central point of the paragraph. Give an explanation to make it more specific. Then present several pieces of evidence to support it and explain why you use it. Justify all claims with specific examples from the text. Include direct quotes if necessary. When using quotes, make sure to cite them correctly. Share the feelings that the book made you feel. Provide comparisons with similar stories or novels. Tell about strengths and weaknesses. End every paragraph with a concluding sentence that sums up what you have discussed. Use smooth transitions from paragraph to paragraph to create a whole, cohesive piece.
- Write a conclusion. Wrap up your ideas to leave readers with a strong impression. Restate the thesis and supporting points. Summarize your opinion and evaluate a literary work as a whole. Emphasize its significance. Tell the audience whether you recommend this literary piece.
- Revise and edit your paper. Review your essay, modify and reorganize the ideas to make it the best it can be. Improve style and clarity. Correct grammar and spelling mistakes.
How to persuade someone to read a book?
Reading is a priceless activity that gives people incomparable pleasure. Books expand our knowledge of the world and stay fantastic sources of inspiration. But, unfortunately, not all people are fond of reading. This habit is declining mainly due to the growth of technology.
Besides, there are too many distractions.
Wondering how to persuade someone to read a book? Logics and good reasons are genuinely important when you persuade someone. Still, there are special literary persuasive techniques that can be used to present ideas in a convincing manner.
Here are some of them.
- Storytelling. People understand complex concepts and abstractions better when those are told through stories.
- Repetition. Ads and commercials prove that repetition really works. People can’t agree with you if they don’t get what you are talking about. Say the same thing in different ways and make it easier for your readers to understand your point of view and agree with it.
- Appeal to emotions. Making readers feel happy, angry or sad can help persuade them to take action or agree with your viewpoint.
- Figurative language. Metaphors, similes, analogies, comparisons can paint a picture for an audience and will help you convince other people to see things your way.
Use our tips on how to write an essay about a book to create an impressive persuasive paper that can convince your friends to read more and benefit from it.
Don’t have the inspiration to write the essay about book? Well, our writers strive to help you out! Order a perfect essay and enjoy reading your favourite book!