How To Write A Descriptive Essay On Mother?
Got a bit lost by trying to find out how to write an essay “the person I admire is my mother”?
Let’s start off with an obvious setting. Your mom is the most important person in your life but writing a good descriptive paper, where you explain what kind of person she is and why she is special, may be more than challenging.
Although you have to talk about your personal experience and feelings, you should also appeal to your audience’s senses and evoke emotions.
That is not easy.
We are about to provide you with all the necessary information, that would help you create an interesting, thought-provoking essay on mother, impress your teacher and classmates, and get a high grade.
What is a descriptive essay?
Let’s start with a simple definition.
Descriptive essay is a piece of writing where you describe something in a highly detailed manner, using sensory information and colourful words.
It can be an object, place, thing, experience, situation, or a person. It’s an artistic writing form, often poetic in nature. The purpose of this type of writing is to reveal the meaning of a subject, using sensory observation.
Actually, you have to create a detailed picture for readers with specific vivid words and evoke a strong sense of familiarity and appreciation. Your task is to describe something in a way the audience could see, hear or feel whatever you are talking about.
You can do it, utilizing illustrative language and including a lot of sensory details. It’s not enough to provide readers with several random facts; you should express your own feelings and appeal to your audience’s senses and emotions.
There are certain useful techniques you should follow if you plan to achieve these goals. But before we start discussing how to write a descriptive essay about a person, let’s talk about specific features of descriptive writing when it comes to creating an impressive paper on mother.
Specifics of essay on mother
In a strong paper on mother, you actually need to describe a person you love and it’s important to ensure that this description is sensory-based.
You should utilize the most specific concepts to help readers see your mother and understand what feelings she invokes in you.
You should show rather than tell readers what your mom is like and what kind of person she is.
Remember: when you just tell something, your words can be interpreted in a variety of ways, as words are vague. But when showing the picture via describing specific details, you create a vivid, real picture.
What are the qualities of a good mother essay? Let’s see.
- The text is clear and concise;
- It presents colourful images and appeals to the readers’ imagination;
- The key to a perfect descriptive essay about my mother is painting a picture in your readers’ mind by engaging all five senses – sight, smell, sound, taste, and touch.
How to write a descriptive essay about a person?
Descriptive writing has a unique power and appeal. Its main goal is to create a dominant impression.
If we analyze any good descriptive essay sample about a person, we will see that it’s a sensory description, that helps create a certain mood or atmosphere in a paper. Utilizing sensory details, you will be able to recreate the picture that you have in your mind for all readers.
Here are some effective techniques you should apply to make your descriptions more impressive. You can apply them to the other essay types and get an interesting and memorable result.
- Use sensory-packed language instead of vague general words.
- Figurative language such as similes, metaphors, comparison, contrasts, and analogies can help you make descriptions more lively and paint a picture in your reader’s mind.
- Use precise language like strong action verbs, specific nouns, and adjectives to give life to this great picture. Appropriate nouns and verbs help deliver a strong emotional impact on any audience.
- Keep thoughts organized. Use any order you think is appropriate, like due to importance, spatial order (location) or chronological order (time). Each would be good for a descriptive paper.
How to start a descriptive essay about a person?
You may begin with the description of the physical appearance. Proceed with the explanation of how the person feels, thinks, and acts. Don’t forget about the interests, hobbies, and talents.
Remember that clear, logical, and well-balanced structure is the key to success of high-school writing or a college paper.
Although a descriptive paper relies on emotional appeal and allows students to be more creative than other types of high-school projects, you should brainstorm a lot of different ideas and create a basic outline to put ideas in the logical order.
The outline should include an intro with a thesis statement, the main body, and a conclusion.
In the main body, you should focus on the specific qualities of the person you describe.
Think of several ideas to support the main topic idea and use at least 3 other ideas to support topic in each paragraph.
You should do your best to make the content as appealing as possible, and leave your audience (not acquainted with your mom) with a strong feeling that they have actually met her and have built an emotional connection.
General recommendations for an essay about mom
- When writing an essay about mom, you need to describe a real person so you should think about your mother’s life and background.
- Before you start writing, think about the purpose of the whole paper. Decide what overall impression you want to convey. Create your general point, your unique thesis statement. Organize the entire paper around it.
- You can start with an interesting relevant quote or provide a short funny story about your mother in the introduction to grab readers’ attention. You can also present a variety of reasons, explaining why you want to describe your mother.
- Another great way to make a descriptive paper more engaging is to include a short dialogue.
- In conclusion, you should present the main ideas of your description and emphasize their significance.
- When you describe your mom’s appearance, don’t use a list-like approach. The task is not to describe everything from the top of her head down to her toes. Speak of particular aspects of your mother’s appearance, instead. That can help reveal her unique personality.
- Don’t describe the full picture. Create an engaging description that will encourage your readers’ imagination.
- Don’t use the same subject-verb pattern in all sentences because it will make your tone rather monotonous. Embed descriptive details and combine different sentences, instead. Utilize subjective clauses and compound sentences to express thoughts.
- Don’t use too many adjectives when describing your mother’s appearance or character. Include only the most powerful words.
- Avoid using clichés because they signal a lack of imagination. Be creative and use a dictionary to find vivid descriptive words.
- Don’t use too many adverbs, they make any writing weak. It’s better to use specific verbs to describe actions. They make writing more powerful.
- Use different transition words to connect all ideas and make the description of your mother logical.
- When you finish your first draft, focus on improving your descriptions. Add some sensory details to make your paper appeal to readers’ emotions.
- When you are satisfied with the content, proofread the final draft. Fix minor grammar mistakes, punctuation, spelling errors, and typos.
Now you know the basics on how to compose a descriptive essay about a person you love.
But before you start writing your own paper, there is the last advice we got for you.
Try reading a well-written descriptive essay about a person you admire example. It would provide you with a better understanding of the effective techniques you can use.
No time for writing the essay about your mom? No worries. Leave the essay to the top-notch professionals and spend more time with your family!