Tips on Writing a Strong Conclusion
If you have ever read a book with an unsatisfactory end, you probably know what I am talking about. Nothing disappoints you most than a good book with a terrible end. The same thing is about your academic writings. This is the link between your main topic and the effect it has on your reader. This is the point that makes sense out of the entire essay you wrote. Also, you can set up some new direction for further researches and investigation.
Your conclusion should be solid, strong, and convincing. It is the point that will shape the whole image of your paper and impression of your reader. This is your final words, and you should say them in a right way. Of course, there is no super tip for all the essay types and their conclusions. But I am sure that you can use some of my tips for your writing in general. And the perfect ending is something you can get.
Table of Contents
Tips for effective conclusion
- Your conclusion is not just about the restate of facts you said before. If you want to summarize some particular points in your conclusion, you should use some new words to get your idea. Do not just copy and paste your thesis and facts you already said. Just show the problem in a new light.
- You should get the focus of your writing a little bit broader. It will give your reader the opportunity to think and made his/her mind about the problem you were discussing in your paper. If you want to have success, you should make your reader think and want more.
- Your conclusion is the place where everything gets clear. Make all of your paths and directions you had in your paper come to one logical end. Show your reader how all these points work together.
- Also, if your essay is too complex, you can use a simple, but a useful trick of linking the first and the last paragraphs of your writing together. Just use one sentence from the first paragraph and link it to one sentence from the last paragraph. It worked well in my case.
- Your conclusion can show the impact of your problem on people’s everyday life. Just show your reader the impact and the solution to the problem clearly.
Points to avoid
- Forget about simple and boring summarizing. It is just no go and a very common mistake for lots of writers. Of course, there should be few words summarizing the entire text, but it is not a full conclusion. And if your essay is not so big, you can even write no summary at all. Your text is not so big for the reader to forget everything he learned from the start. There is no need of restating your points once again in the end. This should be a reflection of your previous words and facts. Also, if the question of your task is to get a judgment, your conclusion is the best place to do it.
- You should avoid any new information in your conclusion. You should present all the facts supported in your essay’s body. This is the closing part, and you have no chances to make it right if you will say anything new about the topic. It is just annoying and not convincing at all. Of course, you can talk about the future, but just as a consideration of what might be.
- There is no need for you as the author to apologize for anything you have written in your essay. Moreover, it is just forbidden to apologize, if you want to sound cool and convincing. Your ending should be positive and strong. You should have no regrets of what you were writing. If you have any, it means you are not sure about your own words and this fact spoils all your work at once.