How To Write Your Best Alcoholism Essay?
To start off, alcoholism is a physical and psychological disease characterized by regular consumption of high qualities of alcohol and troubles with giving up drinking.
It is a well-known fact that alcoholism is quite an issue nowadays. It breaks the lives of people, their families, and the whole society.
According to WHO (World Health Organization), excessive use of alcohol causes 5.3% of deaths yearly, which makes a total of 3 million deaths.
The topic is quite vast, so it won’t be hard to find a thrilling aspect to cover in your essay.
6 facts for your alcoholism essay
The main goal of writing an essay on alcoholism is to highlight the problem, it’s causes, reasons, and outcomes.
Keep things simple, precise and informative. Use only credible sources in references. Try visiting official websites of WHO, Medical News Today (website specialized on medical information), ASAM (American Society of Addiction Medicine, on different addictions), etc.
Also, here are several facts for you to start off somewhere.
- Alcoholism is not only a disease but also an addiction. This may seem obvious. Therapists state that it can be as dangerous as drug addiction since a person gets used to it not only on a mental level but also on a physical. As a result, there are loads of difficulties when giving up.
- Alcoholism shouldn’t be regarded as a personal choice. Like any other addiction, it differs from person to person. Usually, people can’t notice that something is wrong before they actually try to stop drinking.
- Except for being a disease itself, alcoholism leads to health and social issues. Doctors claim that alcoholism results in liver disease, pancreatitis, cancers, brain damages, and others. Moreover, it leads to socialization problems as alcoholics can be depressed, aggressive and struggle from a negative attitude of society.
- Alcoholism has a genetic complex. It is stated that children of alcoholics are 4 times more predisposed to alcoholism. Scientists claim that alcohol and drug addiction usually starts with families.
- There are more men alcoholics than women. The research shows that men are more likely to become alcoholics than women. Investigation can’t actually explain this fact, but the main reason is considered to be the fact that men drink more alcohol overall.
- Alcohol makes people feel worse. Some may say that they drink to “drown sorrows,” but it doesn’t work in a long-term perspective. Actually, alcohol is a depressant.
How to structure the essay on alcoholism?
A good structure is essential for any writing. As a rule, the essay is divided into three parts: introduction, main body, and conclusion.
You might also want to write an outline for your work. Here are some easy instructions to follow:
Outline. Basically, it is a table of contents. You briefly plan your essay and organize your thoughts. Write down the statement you are about to use in the introduction, note several arguments supporting your statement and think of how to summarize these thoughts in conclusion.
Introduction. Here you need to provide the reader with some basic information on the topic. It may include the definition of alcoholism, statistics, and rates of how many alcoholics are out there, the yearly amount of deaths, age statistics, and so on. Include a thesis explaining the main idea of your essay and your standpoint. It shouldn’t be longer than 1 sentence.
The Main Body. Explain your standpoint step by step. Add arguments gradually. Each supporting statement takes 1 paragraph and is accompanied by a brief explanation. Put them in a logical order.
Conclusion. Sum up everything you said before and confirm the thesis. Do not add new ideas, statements, or facts. Here, in the alcoholism essay conclusion, you may express your own vision of the problem.
Causes and effects of alcoholism essay: what to cover?
Each case of alcoholism is unique and has its own set of reasons and consequences. Thus, you may need to know some general statistics and information on the causes and effects of alcoholism. Here are several prompts.
Causes of alcoholism essay:
- A stressful environment that enforces the person to seek consolation.
- Drinking at an early age.
- Mental issues (like depression, apathy, etc.).
- Genetics and family history.
- Mixing alcohol with medicine: possible outcomes.
- The experience of trauma.
- Bad influence of the company.
- Lack of family care.
- Power of the mass media.
- No awareness of the possible psychological problems.
Effects of alcoholism essay:
- Health problems, like heart and liver diseases, brain damage, low immunity, cancer, etc.
- Depression, apathy, suicidal thoughts.
- Slurred speech, confusion, trouble remembering things.
- Concentration issues.
- Bad academic performance.
- Increased chance of committing a crime.
- Domestic violence.
- Adverse effect on children.
- Loss of job and financial troubles.
- Mood swings.
Alcoholism is quite an issue in modern society. Essays, exploring this topic, are needed to spread the awareness of the risks we all encounter.
No time to write your essay on alcoholism? We have some! Order your perfect essay from one of our professionals and save the evening to yourself. Pssst, it’s completely confidential…