How To Write A Persuasive Essay On Abortion?
It is hard to find the issue that will conjure the same feelings and be of the same importance as abortions. It was, is, and will be one of the most controversial and on the front burner problems of society.
Both sides of the discussion provide solid arguments, and both ideas have legs. And this makes the subject matter of abortion one of the best topics for persuasive essays.
Table of Contents
The basics of a persuasive essay on abortion
The dictionaries define abortion as the termination of a pregnancy by removing embryo or fetus from the uterus before the end of its term. Miscarriage also falls under this description, however, when we talk about abortion, the first thing that comes to mind is the intended abolition of the unwanted pregnancy.
It is a tough topic for discussion, as the audience, on the whole, has an opinion concerning it already. The main task of the persuasive essay is to argue the audience into your point of view, but how on earth you can persuade a person who has developed an opinion based on personal experience?
Or how you can convince a devout believer of the truth of your words if you write about the necessity of legalization of abortions?
As you can see, the assignment is incredibly challenging, yet, not impossible. Teachers conceive this topic as one of the best ways to evaluate your ability to ram an argument home, so you will have to make every possible effort when writing this paper.
This subject matter deals with philosophical, religious, moral, medical, and ethical points. Thus, in order to create a compelling text, you will have to address all these aspects.
Core aspects of great abortion thesis statements
Abortion thesis statements are the quintessence of the papers so, usually, writers create them after thorough research of the issue and when the direction of the thought is already defined.
You can consider it as a very condensed outline as after reading a single thesis sentence, the reader can clearly see what you discuss in the text.
Thus, sometimes, the best time to write it is when the rough draft of the paper is almost ready.
Several steps should be taken to create a well-rounded thesis statement:
- Profound research of the subject matter.
- Time for crafting the best thesis.
- Search for a sufficient amount of facts that support the main idea.
- Check if your thesis is aligned with the rest of the text.
Here are some examples of thesis statements for a paper on abortion. You can use them as a source of inspiration for your own paper or as an example of how a great thesis should look like.
- The dangers and consequences of the backstreet abortions that can lead to woman’s death make legalization of abortions indispensable to life.
- The religious aspect is the only reason why people conceive abortion as a pro-choice and not a pro-life decision.
- As soon as the consensus on whether a developing embryo is equated with human life is reached, all the debates over the moral and legal aspects of abortion will be over.
- Psychological and physiological disorders that an unwanted pregnancy can cause justify the legalization of abortions.
The arguments for the persuasive essay on abortion is wrong
You can operate these arguments in a persuasive essay on abortion should be illegal:
- The medical procedure is a risky one. The possible immediate and long-term consequences are sterility, heavy bleeding, damage of the cervix or womb.
- Abortion is an irretrievable action so a woman can lament till her dying days. That may result in the clinical depression with gloomy implications up to suicide.
- Abortion increases the chances of contracting breast cancer.
- A woman who does not want to raise a child can give it up for adoption as many couples cannot have children for some reasons.
- For most cases, the unwanted pregnancy is the result of neglect of the contraceptives. Why should unborn children suffer because of the irresponsibility of a woman?
- Baby feels pain during the abortion, especially during the partial-birth abortion.
- There are no religions that justify abortion.
- Each and every life is valuable. But abortion values human’s life next to nothing.
Tip: When you write a persuasive essay on abortion pro-life, try to operate facts, not thoughts. Thus, you will sound more convincing.
How to support a persuasive essay on abortion pro-choice?
- The complications of pregnancy can have the same or even worse consequences rather than abortion.
- Abortion is justified if the fetus is diagnosed with heavy genetic defects.
- If parents are mentally disabled or carry severe heritable diseases, and it is possible to say for sure that the embryo is a carrier of a disease too, abortion has to be legal.
- The pregnancy as the result of a rape.
- There is still no agreement concerning the balance of a fetus and a person, so it is improper to apply laws and ethical standards to a developing life as to a human.
These arguments may help you make a persuasive essay on why abortion should be legal more convincing.
Still, do not forget that it is essential to add an argument with an opposite point of view to your text and then confute it.
How to create a neutral argument for a paper on abortion?
It may seem that such a burning issue can have only two points of view: pro or against. However, it is possible to write a neutral, unbiased, and still persuasive paper that will argue others into your point of view.
Such arguments are based on the facts and logic, they do not plead for sympathy or demand carriage of feminist postulates or the right for private life, etc.
These are the arguments that search for a sound compromise. For example:
- If the pregnancy endangers the woman’s life, abortion is acceptable.
- Abortion is acceptable if a fetus has a terminal sickness.
We hope that this article helped you to figure out how such papers should be written so you won’t be scared by persuasive essay topics on abortion anymore. Once you’ve chosen the direction of thoughts, nothing will prevent you from creating a top-notch paper!
Don’t feel like being inspired by the topic of abortion? Luckily, we have trained pro’s here, who can do both, cope with any kind of essay… and fit into the deadline. Hit the button to learn more!