How to Write Abortion Research Paper Homework?
Looking for easy tips on how to write a research paper on abortion? We’ve got you covered!
Abortion is probably the most controversial subject in modern society. It includes a number of complex questions concerning ethical, moral, legal, medical, philosophical, and religious issues related to the deliberate ending of pregnancy before normal childbirth.
Public opinions are polarized; they have strong feelings for or against this subject. That’s why writing a good abortion research paper with work cited requires in-depth research of existing literature. Students have to find a decent amount of relevant arguments (statistics, facts) about positive and negative aspects of the problem and create a convincing piece.
Table of Contents
Abortion research paper specifics
Abortion research paper is a piece of academic writing based on original research performed by a writer. The author’s task is to analyze and interpret research findings on a particular topic.
Although research paper assignments may vary widely, there are two common types – analytical and argumentative.
- In argumentative essay students have to establish their position in a thesis statement and convince their audience to adopt this point of view.
- In analytical essay students state a research question, take a neutral stance on a topic, presenting information in a form of well-supported critical analysis without persuading the audience to adopt any particular point of view.
Thorough writing a college research paper on the subject is critical – it can help students develop their own opinions and build a strong argument.
Research paper on abortion: writing hints & tips
Abortion is among political and moral issues on which Americans are genuinely split. Their opinions on this controversial issue remain unchanged since 1995. There are two primary moral and legal questions related to the abortion debate, which divides public opinion for generations:
- Are abortions morally wrong?
- Should they be legal or banned?
Although these questions seem straightforward, they are more complex than students think. There are two separate camps.
People who favor the “pro-choice” stance support the right of women to choose whether she carries a pregnancy to term or not. They think that abortions are acceptable.
People who take the strict religious “pro-life” stance think that abortions are always wrong because the fetus has rights and we should treat it the same way as any other human being.
If you have to write an argumentative research paper, you must choose either “pro-life” or “pro-choice” stance and develop a convincing argument to persuade readers.
If your research paper is analytical, you should examine both sides of the issue, evaluate the most important arguments, provide a balanced overview of both approaches, analyzing their weak and strong points.
Religion plays a great role in the debate but there are a lot of non-religious issues. Here are the most important ethical and legal issues, involving the rights of women and the rights of a fetus.
- Is fetus a human being and does it have the basic legal right to live?
- Does life begin at conception?
- Should we consider the fetus a separate being or is it a part of its mother?
- Does the fetus’ right to life have a priority over the woman’s right to control her body?
- Under what circumstances is it acceptable to terminate the fetus’ life?
- Can the removing of a fetus be considered as a murder?
- Is it better to abort an unwanted child or allow it to be neglected by parents?
- Can adoption be alternative to termination of pregnancy?
- Is it possible to find a balance between the rights of a mother and those of a fetus?
A lot of arguments in favor of this procedure are based on respect for women’s reproductive rights.
“Pro-choice” camp argues that a woman is a person with her own rights and not a fetus’ carrier.
They say that governmental or religious authorities shouldn’t limit a woman’s right to control her own body. Besides, the fetus can’t be regarded as a separate entity because it can’t exist outside a woman’s womb.
Opponents of this procedure speak about respect for all forms of life, fetus’ right to life, and argue that it is actually the kill of an innocent human being.
Best abortion research paper topics
The first step in writing a research paper is selecting a good manageable topic that interests you and defining a research question or a thesis statement.
Wondering where to find powerful abortion research paper topics? Here is a short list of interesting ideas. Feel free to pick any of them for creating your own writings. You may also use them as a source of inspiration and further research of a specific issue.
- Impact of legalizing abortions on the birth rate.
- How terminations of pregnancies are regulated around the world.
- How termination of pregnancy is considered within moral terms.
- Analyze regional differences in Americans’ attitude to termination of pregnancy.
- Examine the generation gap in abortion support.
- Feminist beliefs and abortion rights supporters.
- What is the future of abortion politics?
- Give an overview of the legislation on the termination of pregnancies around the world.
- The medical complications of pregnancy termination.
- Discuss the abortion debate and human rights.
- How having an abortion affects a woman’s life.
- Will the abortion debate ever end?
- How can we reduce the demand for termination of pregnancy?
- Moral aspects of pregnancy termination.
- Legal aspects of the abortion conflict.
- Should termination of pregnancy be treated as a health issue?
- Electoral politics and termination of pregnancy.
- Is the termination of pregnancy a human issue or a gender issue?
- Philosophical aspects of the abortion debate.
- Liberal views on the termination of pregnancy.
- Abortion demographics: race, poverty, and choice.
- Why does the public support for legal termination of pregnancy remains high?
- Should men be allowed to discuss the termination of pregnancy?
- Is the abortion a “women’s only” issue?
- Woman’s mental health after abortion.
How to write an abortion research paper outline?
Now let’s discuss how to write an abortion research paper outline. First, you have to write a thesis statement that summarizes the main point of your paper and outlines supporting points. The thesis will help you organize your structure and ensure that you stay focused while working on your project. Make a thesis statement strong, specific, and arguable.
After defining the thesis statement, you need to brainstorm ideas that are supporting the thesis in the best way. When it comes to the level of detail in an outline, you should take into account the length of a college project. You should choose the most suitable subtopics and arrange them logically. Decide which order is the most effective in arguing your thesis. Your paper should include at least 3 parts: an introduction, main body, and conclusion.
Have a look at simple abortion research paper outline example.
- Hook sentence
- Thesis statement
- Transition to Main Body
- History of abortion
- Abortion demographics in countries where it is legal
- Impact of legal termination of pregnancy on women’s life and health
- Negative consequences of illegal termination of pregnancy
- What measures should be taken to reduce the number of abortions?
- Transition to Conclusion
- Unexpected twist or a final argument
- Food for thought
Academic writing is very challenging, especially if it involves complex controversial topics. Writing an abortion research paper is a time-consuming and arduous task, which involves a lot of researching, reading, writing, revising, rewriting, editing, and proofreading. Make sure you are ready to create several drafts and then improve the content and style to make your paper perfect.
We hope that our quick tips will help you get started. But if you are new to academic writing, a good idea is to find well-written abortion research paper examples. Read and analyze them to have a better idea about proper paper structure, academic writing style, references, and different approaches to organizing thoughts.
How about we take care of your abortion research paper, while you enjoy your free time? Several clicks and we’re on!